Saturday, February 23, 2008

A Few More Photos

I guess it was a special day a couple days ago. People told me it was the last day of the Lunar New Year Festival and it was the Lantern Festival. The only thing is I am not really sure if they are supposed to fall on the same day or not. I heard 3 different versions of the timing. I should have tried out my Chinese language to get down the timing of the days, but then I don't really care that much.

What I do care about is big time fireworks. For some reason, it is more important to scare the demons on this day than on the first day of the New Year Festival. So all of the 7-11's stocked up with the best bombs money can buy. I walked downtown for the festivities. People were getting hit with fireworks left and right. I saw one mom yelling at her little boy because apparently he had the mortars aimed the wrong way.

People were launching launching paper lanterns with flames that gave them lift. It was really cool to watch all of these red glowing lanterns floating over the city with fireworks going off everywhere. I guess no one is worried where they come down or what they might burn to the ground when they do. Sorry, I couldn't get a good photo.

I did get some photos of some Joes with an arsenal in the middle of an intersection. They had some blow torches and an endless supply of serious fireworks flowing out of the mini-mart. I am not sure who was more at risk, the pedestrians, the firework technicians or the motorists. Enjoy:













1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.