Saturday, January 27, 2007

Transportation

Shanghai is an exciting town. I am living right down town so stepping out of the apartment complex is an adventure in itself. It is very important to look all ways before crossing the street. Most people are pretty new to driving and the road system seems to be at maximum capacity. As money flows into Shanghai, the hottest commodity for a middle class Chinese person is a car. The consequence is pure insanity on the streets. Busses are the number one priority; they do not stop for anything. Taxis are out of control as well. I have learned that the drivers work 24 hours at a time. So if you are taking a late night cab, you should ask the guy a lot of questions to make sure he is awake. The problem I have is that I don't know how to ask a question. I guess if I babble in English the guy will be too annoyed to fall asleep.

Bikes are still a major means of transportation in Shanghai. They mix into the insanity as if they are on a Sunday bike ride. No helmets, no night lights, not really looking around; just weaving in and out of oncoming cars and pedestrians. There are actually quite large bike lanes but as they tear up streets to accomodate the massive amount of cars, the bikes are forced to go on roads that they shouldn't be on. Bikes are also a common means of transporting anything from bottled water to refrigerators.

My main means of transportation has been my feet. I haven't been doing much jogging but I am not too worried about it because I walk everywhere. And going for a walk is the opposite of boring. I am rubbernecking the whole time. Going to the market is an adventure. I was thinking I need to do some tourism, but right now I am tourist in my own neighborhood so I am not too stressed about it.

No comments: